Here's a reminder that you can cut down those LONG hours of patching to just 1 hour for those who are too lazy to scroll up. With slight edits for less confusion
"Optional Updating for FFXI - Provided by Rengar(Quicker Method)"
1. Make sure you have WinRAR
2. go to http://tehkrizz.net/FFXI/downloads.php
3. download (MOV folder as of 20111214. Intended for a new installation.) (All ROM folders updated through 20111214. (Use after fresh install)) (Sound folders as of 20111214. Intended for a new installation.)
4. unzip the files in to your final fantasy xi location. For me its C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI
5. Download the following file above: FFXI Patch. DO NOT SKIP THIS. IF YOU DO POL WILL SAY YOUR FILES ARE GOOD BUT WILL NOT NAME THE UPDATE.
6 unzip the files in to your final fantasy xi location.
7 Run PlayOnline again and choose For PlayOnline Members
8 At the Add Member page enter something for the Member Name.
9 Enter ABCD1234 for the PlayOnline ID
10 Select Register, Yes, OK.
11 Select Check Files on the left of the screen.
12 Click on PlayOnline Viewer then select Final Fantasy XI from the drop down, then Check Files.
13.Exit PlayOnline Viewer.
14.Copy the data folder at C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\data to the Final Fantasy XI directory at C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI.
15.Afterwards you should have the directory C:\Program Files\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\data.
after that you just go install the launcher and BAM done in 1 hour